Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, November 11, 2011

Childbirth Preparation

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not, but J and I are currently taking Childbirth Preparation Classes at the hospital where we'll be delivering our baby.  We meet each week for about 2 and a half hours, for 4 weeks.  So far I've found the classes to be helpful and informative.  Last week we learned a lot of different positions to try laboring in, which I found very informative.  This week we focused mainly on medical interventions and pain medications that can be used during labor.  Again, very informative and important to know about in case they are needed during our baby's birth.  At the end of the class we talked about birth plans.  Our hospital has a program where towards the end of pregnancy (around 35 or 36 weeks) you come in and meet with a nurse and one of the things they do is upload your birth plan into your chart so it's all ready to go when you get to the hospital.  This sounds like a good plan, it's one less thing to have to remember to bring with you when you go to the hospital.  Of course, they recommend that you discuss your birth plan/wishes with your doctor before writing a birth plan.  Again, makes sense.  My doctor is in a practice with 4 other doctors who you meet throughout your pregnancy - again, great plan.  However, this means I've only seen my doctor 3 times during this pregnancy.  At our next appointment I'm planning to ask all my labor and delivery questions, but I won't be seeing my doctor.  So I guess I'm just going to go with what that doctor says and write up my birth plan the way I want since my appointment with the hospital is the week after that. 

Most of what I'm planning to include in my Birth Plan is pretty basic.  Does anyone have any recommendations of things to consider including? 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you can have the birth plan all taken care of ahead of time! Cool! I don't know anything to include, but I bet you'll have a great one! Can't believe how close you're getting!

    ReplyDelete