Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

3 Weeks In...

Wow, I can't believe how much time has passed since my last blog post!  When I logged in today I was sure that I had just posted last week, but it's been almost 3 weeks - yikes! 

Things here are still going well.  N is awesome, as usual.  He's getting bigger and more fun every single day.  He seems to be doing really well at daycare too, thank goodness.  The three of us seem to be in a routine that is working pretty well.  Right now N goes to daycare 3 days a week.  I work slightly longer days at the office 3 days a week, work from home one day a week, and then use 'flex' time to basically have one day off a week to spend with N.  J drops N off at daycare in the morning on his way to work and I rush there to pick him up each evening.  Honestly the worst part of my day is the drive to daycare to pick N up - I feel like it takes forever to get there and I'm so relieved when I finally get there.  Side note: it takes the same amount of time to get there everyday, I think the after work traffic just makes me crazy!  Plus it makes me sad to think about how long he's been there. 

What seems to be working well:
* Pumping at work - so far I've been able to keep up with how much N eats at daycare.  This might be because I only have to pump 3 days a week since on the days I stay home N is with me.
* Having J drop N off at daycare.  The few times I've had to drop him off I felt terrible.  I know he's fine while he's there but for me it's much easier to leave him at our house with J when I go to work.  This is going to get trickier because J is starting a new job next week and his hours are pretty different from his current job.  I'm afraid that I'll have to do most of the dropping off and picking up, which I am not looking forward to :(
* Having a day off each week to spend with N.

What's not working so well:
* Working from home one day a week.  It's hard to be home with N and not really be able to give him or my work my full attention.  I'm going to keep trying to make it work because I like being available to nurse him during the day, but wow, it's rough!
* Feeling like there is never enough time to get everything done that I need and want to.  Basically what seems to be suffering is me feeling relaxed.
* Sleep!  N is sleeping great, but still usually gets up once a night.  After he nurses he goes right back to sleep which is great, but it takes me a long time to fall back asleep, which makes me really tired in the mornings.

Basically, going back to work has gone so much better than I expected it too.  I'm not sure how long I'll want to keep being a full-time working mom, but for now it's manageable.  I'm not making any decisions about my job until I've been back for two months.  I really want to give it a fair chance and then make the decision that will be best for our family.  


  1. It sounds like for the most part the routine is working out great for you! I can see how it would be hard working from home while N is there too. At least you are trying all your options and will be well informed to make your decision about work in the near future.

  2. I am so glad it is going well for you! I think two months is a good amount of time. When I first came back to work I was sad about the thought of leaving, but after two months I am certain it is what's right for me. Best of luck to you and N!

  3. So happy to read an update and hear that things are going well! :) I'm super jealous of your schedule - I'm hoping to have a chat with my boss when I go back about working a schedule that will work for me, but I'm worried it'll be hard because no one else in the office works from home or has a modified schedule of any sort. We shall see! Also happy to hear pumping at work is working out well for you too - reading your updates gives me hope for whats to come in 3 short weeks for us!